July 23, 2012

Day 1: Success

This:
Plus this:
Equals a pretty good morning.  
Day 1 of the Sunrise Series 2.0? Success. 

At 1:45 this morning, I was still tossing and turning, headphones in, flipping through my iTunes, watching YouTube videos, reading blogs, and all the other things you do when you can't sleep. I even listened to my sleep machine for about 2 minutes, thinking that was the "mature" response to insomnia... "Just listen to the waves and the rain..." I told myself. "Breathe in... breathe out...." But about two minutes later, I abandoned the solemn sounds of nature for the poppy beats of Katy Perry and Beyonce... My body wasn't used to falling asleep before 2 am and it was pushing back... big time.  But, eventually I fell asleep, and just a few hours later I awoke to the sound of my alarm.  (To those of you who thought I lived at the beautiful ranch you saw in Friday's photo, I do not. I believe my husband took that photo one morning on the road.  I don't really remember...)  However, our back yard is a pretty place to be, especially in the mornings.  And despite my lack of zzzz's, I was excited to get up, sit outside and enjoy the sunrise. I even managed to make a pot of coffee before the sun popped over the horizon. I know.  I'm impressed too.


To those of you who get up at this hour everyday for work, I feel you.  For years I woke up to my alarm buzzing at 5:30 am, but I always marched myself straight to the coffee pot, or the closet, or the shower, and the first time I looked outside was when I was running to my car to zoom off towards the interstate.  I never took a minute to just go sit outside and watch. A sunrise is God's free therapy session to us.  And He knows I'm pretty cheap... so it looks like this whole sunrise thing may stick after all :)

For now, I'm off to go tape my eyes open, drink that cup of coffee, and begin my day about 5 hours ahead of schedule.  Perhaps tonight I'll be ready for bed a little earlier...  We'll see.


... I will not go back to bed right now.  I will not go back to bed right now.  I will not go back to bed right now...

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Bravo, darling. Bravo!

Elise @ The Jersey Flower said...

I feel you, girl. I'm up early every day for no reason at all. A friend suggests when we get up -super- earlier than we're used to, God's telling us that He wants to talk to us. :) Have a wonderful day!

xx
Elise @ jerseyflowerse.blogspot.com

Rebekah Jo said...

You're a brave woman!! I just couldn't do it. I am too in love with my sleep!! But I'm always up for coffee.

McKenzie said...

Sounds like a great morning. It is so important to just sit and enjoy moments like that from time to time. I find myself hurrying out the door every morning without ever taking a moment to enjoy the beautiful morning before me. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to get up early to enjoy the morning calm before the hectic day!

Stacy Stockdale said...

Such a cool idea!

vintage grey said...

Such beautiful photos, and it is such a pretty time to be outside!! Have a great week! xo Heather

Kara said...

Did you go back to bed? :)

I see the sun rise most mornings in the summer when I let the dog out and every morning in the winter over a cup of coffee.

Heidi said...

oh, I don't know if I could do it. Love your blog! I am your newest follower :)

Dilan Dilir said...

the photos are amazing!

Renee said...

Well done!! Isn't it so lovely and peaceful at that time! (Most of the time anyway!)

Sierra said...

You are incredible for doing this. I attempted to do this and go for a walk/run at 6 am...but I soon gave up! Keep going!!
xx,
Sierra
Oh, Just Living the Dream