homeAbout Meadoptionsponsorcontact photo g_zpsbad26645.png

October 21, 2012

Day 6

Today, I stepped outside the hospital doors for the first time (since brining Abi to her pediatrician’s appointment 6 days ago. ) For days, Sean has been saying, “You have to get out.  For your sanity, go walk outside!” But I never did… until today. This morning, I woke up with Abi at about 4:45am, by 6 am, we had met with the doctor, by 7am I was showered and feeding Abi breakfast, and at 7:15 I said, “Okay.  I’m ready. How about I go to Target?”  So Sean, cheered me on, I grabbed my wallet, kissed my baby, and headed out the door. I took my first breath of fresh air in 6 days at 8:30 am.  It was colder than I expected.  Woohoo, Fall is upon us!

Target was good and when I returned, all was well and I was glad I had gone… however… I got a taste of freedom and now I CRAVE it.  I want to leave again… but WITH ABI! (Although we remain SO THANKFUL for the assistance and health care we are receiving… we are ready to live life without 18 cables attached to our baby, the incessant beeping of a heart monitor, and the constant intake of people looking at (scaring) Miss Abiella.

But before, we leave (hopefully on Tuesday) I must share with you a few random miracles that have happened (among many) since we’ve been here. 

First- one of our nurses came in and said, “I had to come meet you.  I lived in Ghana for 2 years!”  Huh?!?  Really?!? Turned out, at the age of 16 she moved to Ghana as an exchange student, lived in a home without running water, went to public high school there, and fell so in love with the culture that she stayed an extra year.  Throughout our stay here, she has come in to our room periodically and we’ve shared stories of our beloved daughter’s birth place.  So amazing.

Second- One of our night nurse’s whom we love so much noticed we were awake in the middle of the night and leaned over to us and with a shaky voice said, “There’s such a difference in this baby already.  I’m weeping. What a miracle!”  So reassuring to see that someone else saw such a difference too!

Lastly, (are you ready for this?)  We had a different nurse come in yesterday and from the second I met her I loved her.  She was kind, fun, hilarious, and around my age.  I noticed right off the bat she was exceptionally good with Abiella.  Near the end of her shift, she came in and said, “Is Abi going to be going home with the feeding tube?”  I said, “Yes, I believe so.”  She replied, “Would you like me to start teaching you how to use it?” I quickly agreed and she told me she’d come in that evening and show me a few of the basics. So an hour or so later, she returned and as I watched what she was doing, she looked up at us and said, “I adopted a child with special needs who had to go home on a feeding tube…so I know how you’re feeling. It’ll get easier.”  Oh my gosh.  My jaw hit the floor. 

“What?!?  You did?"  She proceeded to tell me a story that was similar to ours… (adoption first, biological kids later…etc. etc.) Main difference? They adopted 3 siblings at once!  The child with special needs was suffering from seizures, vomiting, lack of mobility, and considered blind and deaf.  As she told me her story I felt as if God had sent me an angel straight into my room.  She looked over at Abi and said, “She’ll do great.  You have no idea. We were told our son would only be able to suck his thumb.  Two years later (age 4) he can roll over, see, hear, say Mama, laugh, his seizures are gone and his vomiting has ceased.”  Her attitude, her light, her joy, and her knowledge were such gifts.  She had been in our shoes… I told her, “You’re an angel! I just told Sean how we needed to meet some parents in our same position… (adopting a child with special needs) and little did I know God had already sent me someone. The very woman treating our precious daughter all day!”  Unbelievable.  She told me she wasn’t even supposed to take that shift and that she had never even worked on our floor.  Unbelievable!!!  She’s our nurse again today and I’m learning so much, gaining so much strength from her unbelievable outlook, and basking in the joy of sharing a similar experience.  Do we know if our children will ever communicate fully? No. Do we know if our children will ever walk? No. But we cheer at the victories we see.  The way she put it, “Everyone says, ‘You’re crazy. What if he can’t do this? Or he can’t do that?' And I always see the opposite, Look at what HE CAN DO! Look at what we didn’t know was possible… becoming possible!”  Such a light.  Such a gift. And such a needed blessing when our spirits were tired, jet lag was rumbling, and hospital air was stiff and stifling. What a reminder that God loves US.  Not just Abi.  But US.  When we needed a boost, he sent one before we even knew how to ask. 

Blessings :)
source
mae mae

18 comments:

Heidi said...

That made me cry, happy tears! God is so good!

Rhiannon said...

That story sent shivers down my spine! Abi is in good hands.

Kaity B. said...

Thank you for sharing! God is so good and your story is so inspiring <3

Anna Catherine said...

I have so enjoyed reading Abi's story and how God has shown His presence so much in her life thus far. Thank you so much for sharing your story and encouraging me and others!

TDM Wendy said...

So great. I don't know why, but boy do we see God in our suffering, in our weakness, at our lowest points... He reveals his love in might ways. So good.

Unknown said...

God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good!

Praise the Lord!!

Celeste said...

Amazing. So glad Abi is doing better, and so glad you all received encouragement when you needed it!

It's Sooo Fluffy said...

So glad you're meeting such wonderful people and Abi is doing better.

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

That is incredible! She was meant to take that shift to work on that floor and meet your family.

itsmekt said...

yeah did it again! brought tears to my eyes! praise jesus, he always works in wonderfull! i shared you story on my twitter such an amazaing example of how sometimes what your praying and looking for god will give to you when you least expect it!

itsmekt said...

yeah did it again! brought tears to my eyes! praise jesus, he always works in wonderfull! i shared you story on my twitter such an amazaing example of how sometimes what your praying and looking for god will give to you when you least expect it!

Jessica @ Here(and)Now said...

I have loved keeping up with your adoption story - the highs and the lows, and this post moved me so much... beyond tears... I am so happy for your little family, and praying for daily miracles for you precious baby. Thank you for taking the time to share your story - it means so much that I get to be even the tiniest bit involved with this huge act of love
xx
Here&Now

Melodee said...

that is such a God thing, what are the chances of meeting that nurse otherwise? how awesome for you guys!!!! how great to read that she's doing well :)

Katy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your family's story. Your daughter is beautiful and I hope she is able to come home soon.

Anonymous said...

Praying you can come home soon. What a great story of how great God is.

Jessica said...

WOW!! SO happy to hear how the Lord is blessing you! Glad you are HOME!!

Whimsy said...

I've been reading along with your story for quite some time and am just so happy for your family! It is such a blessing that Abi is getting the love and medical care that she needs!

Sweet Carolina Grace said...

That is so amazing! I have been in tears catching up on your amazing journey, and I am truly so happy for y'all!