homeAbout Meadoptionsponsorcontact photo g_zpsbad26645.png

June 29, 2011

You are what you eat...

Remember the aforementioned unique goals?  Well, the second goal (after the community class) was to join a CSA, Community Supported Agriculture.  My friend KP and I wanted to go organic.  As she says, “You pay for your health eventually.  Might as well pay for it upfront and enjoy it.”  So, on that note, we forked up the dough and joined a farmer’s co-op.  It. Is. Awesome. 

Every Wednesday between 3:00 and 3:30, we drive to a quiet parking lot, a mile down the road and join the club of other organic/local food eaters.  We all wait in line with our boxes from the previous week, until the man in the ice-cold delivery truck kindly asks for your last name.  Actually, he doesn’t ask. He makes eye-contact with you and you know what he wants.  I wait my turn and when our eyes meet, I proudly say, “McConnell”.  Something about saying my name in line with these other awesome eaters makes me feel cooler.    

He cheerfully repeats the name, “McConnell!” and swiftly turns around.  He returns with a mysterious box of goodness.  I stare at the holes of the box, wondering what’s inside as I hand the second man my check.  With box in tow, I walk away a bit more confident, a slightly better person, and a little bit prettier. 

When I get home I quickly open the box and “oooh”-and-“ahhh” over every item.  Berries, greens, onions, cauliflower, radishes, beets, kohlrabi... still don’t know what that is.  I take bags out and split everything in half.  KP and I share one ½ bushel… thus making the whole venture more affordable.  Now, comes the hard part: learning how to cook with things you’ve never seen let alone tasted before.  Luckily, a recipe is just a click away on the web. Things I’ve made, or in my case, assembled:

Kale Chips (okay, Sean made those… but I ate them.)
Salads, salads, and more salads.
Green onions on red beans and rice
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Veggie Medley on Rice
Snap peas with dressing
Berries
Obviously, the last two didn’t need cooking.  But I mentioned them anyways.

All of which is local, organic, and goood.  I’m really looking forward to the fall.  I pick the next batch up tomorrow and I can’t wait to see what we get. Such an adventure this little CSA is becoming.


No comments: